Tuesday, March 24, 2009

First Blog Post

Hello everyone and welcome to my first post as a blogger. I have a couple reasons for starting this blog. This is because I am a huge St. Mary's College basketball fan and am a student there, although this is really fun none of my friends will listen to me talk about the mistakes that the team we are playing is making and the ways they could improve so that they would play better against us. Also, they hate when I talk about our star players and I try to point out their faults. For example our power forward Diamon Simpson tries to dunk most of the time when he is around the basket and usually misses, this is crucial because if instead of trying to dunk he just shot layups he would average at least 6 more points a game.

Now let's talk about the St Mary's - Washington State first round game of the NIT. First let me say that St. Mary's completely outplayed Wash. State and Patty Mills and Diamon Simpson both had great games. With that said, Washington State's head coach in my opinion coached a lousy game. First, #11 Aron Baynes, Wash. State's best player and inside presence should have gotten at least 1 touch on the ball every time down the court. Within 10 feet of the hoop he was outplaying Omar Samhan and could score and get to the line at will. Second, Wash State's point guard Taylor Rochestie played a really good game but was overmatched by Patty Mills. Wash State's coach should have run the offense so that Rochestie would not have had to try to score 1 on 1 against Mills which he had to very often. Yes Rochestie should have figured out how to get open but Wash State should have run plays to get Rochestie free so that he would be able to get open shots. These are the two criticisms I have of Wash State's coach. As a coach it is your responsibility to figure out why your team is struggling and can't properly run it's offense and as the coach he should have realized how to fix these two important problems with their offense. If he had given Baynes the ball more and run Rochestie off screens Washington State would have made this game a lot more competitive than it was.

Also, today I wrote my first article for RootZoo. RootZoo is a sports talk site where users post articles and talk about all different sports. Below is the link to my article about The NCAA tournament selection process.

Here's the link

No comments:

Post a Comment